11.11.2009

Awaken Cafe, Old Town Oakland


Stop number 2 on the official journey into coffeedom took us outside the peninsula into the forgotten realm of ... (dun, dun, DUN) Old Town Oakland.

Awaken is small but mighty (like K) with its tiny, modern-deco, street-side storefront (not like K).

I sampled their tasty-though-unremarkable latte, though they gain points for weaving a milk-foam leaf (it was a heart.--K) atop my beverage.

K went for the french-press, black coffee. "A little thin," her commentary to me. (well, it tasted close to water!--K)

Best part: this shop confirms that small can work in a big way. With not a lot of space, it's managed to garner a number of "best-in-city" awards.

(K add-in: the shop doubles as a mini art gallery and sells its wall-art. Also, they're renovating the next-door space for extra sitting room).


Mediocre cup, they don't roast their own beans, but the space is impressive for what they had to work with.

Keep Roastin'
-KZ

1 comment:

corsii said...

I just found three places on College by the law school-butouttathewayfromit- in Berkeley that meet my approval: not a chain-store sign in sight for blocks and blocks!

PS: Coffee to the People is my numero uno favorite place. I get the mint matcha mocha with Ruth whenever she's in town, and last time, that included Marilyn MacEntyre.

Post a Comment